If you are affected by wildfire in Douglas County, there are many resources available to help you find your footing.
- Call Umpqua Health Alliance Customer Care at 541-229-4842 for information smoke exposure, assistance with urgent housing, food, water and other needs
- Get updates from the Douglas Public Health Network at
- Learn about Red Cross Disaster Relief
- Learn how to prepare for wildfires from the Oregon Health Authority.
- Get evacuation updates from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office
- Follow wildfire updates with the InciWeb fire tracker
How to deal with wildfire smoke
- Know the air quality. The DEQ keeps an updated map of where the air is good, unhealthy, and hazardous. Visit https://oraqi.deq.state.or.us/home/map
- Limit your exposure. Reduce time spent outdoors and, if you are outdoors, limit vigorous activity. This will lower the amount of smoke you are breathing in.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
- Reduce indoor smoke and dust. This includes cigarettes, candles, gas, propane, wood-burning stoves and furnaces, and vacuuming.
- Pay attention to your health. If you have heart or lung disease and are experiencing symptoms like trouble breathing, coughing, stinging eyes, chest pain, or asthma, ask your health care provider about prevention and treatment.
Saving Grace Pet Adoption Center in Roseburg is taking in any cats, dogs or small animals at no cost to the owner. They are asking that the owner call in advance so they have time to get a spot ready for them. Pets can be dropped off Monday-Saturday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and the center is open until 5 p.m. Call 541-672-3907 for more information to schedule a drop off.
Large Animal Care
Animal Control will be helping with livestock animals such as horses, cattle, etc. at local ranches and the Douglas County Fairgrounds. They can help provide transportation such as trailers if needed, but ask that people do not wait until the last minute to reach out for help because of the distance required to move animals. Call 541-440-4471 for more information.